Student Visa (ED Visa)

Fancy studying Thai language, Thai massage or some other topic in Thailand? First you’ll have to obtain an education visa in order to study in a school in Chiang Mai or Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand.

Obtaining a Student Visa

This “ED visa” can either be obtained from the Thai consulate or embassy before arriving in Thailand. If you are already in Thailand you will need to leave the country to go apply for the visa. Depending on you nationality you may be able to apply for an ED visa in any Thai consulate or you might be required to apply from your home country.

However, for you to obtain an education visa, you must conform to the following criteria and meet all the requirements:

1. You must have a letter of admission from a school that is certified by the Thai government. When your application to study in Thailand is accepted, the institution sends you an acceptance letter. This letter is always printed on the official letterhead of the school departments and will carry an official sign. You must have this letter to apply for a Thai education visa.

2. You also need a photocopy of your original passport.

3. Ensure that your passport has a validity of more than 6 months after entering Thailand.

3. You will need recent passport-size photographs. They must be less than 6 months old.

Validity of the visa

The validity of the education visa depends on the duration of your course. However, the initial visa is always valid for three months (90 days),  and if you need to continue learning, you will be required to extend your visa at least 21 days before its expiry date.
For you to extend your education visa, there are yet certain requirements that you will have to meet:
1. Provide evidence that you are already enrolled in the education program, for instance, fee payment receipts and other school documents such as registration documents.
2. Provide two recent passport-sized photographs
3. Provide your course description, including the duration and syllabi.
4. Have a letter of admission that contains your basic details such as your name, nationality, passport number, age, level of education, transcript, curriculum, funding and the total duration of your education program in the country.

Getting the best out of your Thai education Visa

Though you have an education visa, you have report to the local authorities every three months, this is referred to as “90 day reporting”. To simplify this process, it can be done in person or via an agent.

Important final note: If you wish to travel outside Thailand during the validity period of your visa, always make sure you first obtain a re-entry permit.