Medical and Criminal Records For Foreign Retirees in Thailand

If you are 50 years old, have a Thai bank account balance of not less than 800,000 THB, or if you can avail an income certificate showing that at least 65,000 THB goes into your bank account every month, then you are eligible for a one-year Thai Non-Immigrant Visa of type “O-A”, often called “retirement visa”. A medical clearance and a medical certificate are also required. However, if you make your visa application within Thailand, these documents are not usually required.

The medical certificate

This document is meant to act as proof that you don’t have the following prohibitive diseases: leprosy, tuberculosis, elephantiasis, substance dependence, or third-phase syphilis, as outlined in the Ministerial Regulation No 14 B.E. 2535. This medical clearance should not be older than 90 days and has to be notarized by notary organs or consular mission in the applicant’s place of origin. The applicant must present four copies of the medical certificate, with the doctor’s name and address indicated clearly.

Police Clearance

Four copies of Police Clearance, duly notarized, are also needed. They need to state that the applicant has no record of crime in his or her home country, and the verification must not be older than three months.

A common problem which seems to affect most Americans applying for a retirement visa in Thailand is past DUI offences. Especially when they were young. Thai immigration authorities require a satisfactory explanation on this matter, and you may need a lawyer to help you with this.

However, if you are an entrepreneur who wishes to start a business or you have a Thai spouse, this will not affect you since both don’t require police clearance in that regard. Talk to your lawyer about the various alternatives for you.

Holders of a retirement visa are allowed to stay in Thailand for a full year, and no border runs are required if you want to renew your stay. All you have to do is to avail yourself to a local immigration bureau every three months (90 day reporting) to update the authorities on your address.